Reasons that This Summer is the Time to Go on a Limestone
Mission Trip to Stony Point
1. A mission trip is a time for God. Itís a time for you to change your daily and weekly schedule and honor the One who gives you ALL your time through service to him. Stony Point Center is a place where thousands of people go annually to serve God and grow in their faith.
2. Itís a time to love your neighbor. Stony Point Center hosts many programs each year that bring people together to learn about issues of justice, peace, caring and hospitality. The Center modeled this love of neighbor after Hurricane Sandy when they provided housing for many months to people who had been displaced by their homes. Our mission trip supports a Presbyterian Church Center that teaches and lives out this love of neighbor.
3. Itís a time to get to build friendships with others from our church and extended church family. Are you fairly new to the church? Are you a long-time church member who would like to get to know some newer members? Church members who have gone on past mission trips remember those experiences, and the people they shared them with, for the rest of their lives. After Jim Millerís funeral, several church members were remembering the time they spent with Jim on a mission trip to Missouri many years ago, and the deep friendships that developed on that trip.
4. Itís a time to serve the mission of church. Stony Point Center trains people to serve the church in the United States and overseas. For example, Presbyterian Young Adult Volunteers from throughout the USA receive their orientation at Stony Point each August before serving in the USA or overseas.
5. Itís a time to worship. At Stony Point, you have the option of diverse daily worship services offered at the Stony Point chapel. There will also be quiet opportunities for personal prayer, inside and outside. There is a wonderful outdoor labyrinth on the grounds where people can walk and pray. Many people enjoy praying while they work in the garden.
6. Itís a time for enjoying good food. Stony Point center is renowned for its delicious, organic, healthy food. Let someone else do the cooking and the cleaning up for the week, while you concentrate on serving in other ways!
7. Itís a time to learn new skills. Whether you are helping to finish the arts center, gardening outside or in the greenhouses, sewing curtains, or doing office work, you can use your existing skills and learn new ways to serve God in the church and world.
8. Itís a time to support interfaith understanding. Many people are grieving the brutal killing of 21 Egyptians Christians in Libya and the killing of three Muslims in North Carolina. Stony Point has an interfaith community of Christians, Muslims and Jews who live on-site and work non-violently for peace and justice for all. They are modeling the understanding and cooperation that the world needs. We can support this effort through our work at Stony Point Center. Photo of Stony Point Center Co-Executive Director Rick Ufford-Chase hugging a leader of American Muslims from Presbyterians Today magazine article.
9. Itís a time to get in better shape by doing some physical work without overdoing it. People with many different skill levels and energy levels are needed. You can work on construction projects, you can do gardening, you can sew curtains, or you can do office work like stuffing envelopes. You can enjoy walking around the beautiful grounds of this conference center as well.
10. Itís a time to simply have fun with church friends and family. Participants get complimentary tickets to the neighboring Penguin Playhouse that offers top quality theatrical productions. In addition to doing much-needed work, you will have some recreational time that might include going hiking on Bear Mountain, kayaking one afternoon on a nearby lake, or going into nearby New York City to enjoy the theatre or sightseeing there.
This Summer is the Time to Go on a Limestone Mission Trip
What is a Mission Trip?
We are called to love God in our words and in our deeds.
Limestoneís mission trip will offer opportunities for families
with children and youth, single adults, couples and older adults
to grow in faith by serving God for a few days in a new, wonderful